Balsamic BBQ Sauce!
BBQ sauce can be a very personal matter – we get this! So when a great friend and chef sent me over her version to share I was a bit hesitant. She’s Italian with deep roots in Italy and NY but is now living in Northern CA. My point is – she understands flavor. This is a great sauce for anything and makes enough to have some to store in the fridge for a quick weeknight meal! I have my favorite balsamic’s myself, but I tend to pick according to what I’m serving overall or simply with what whim strikes me at the time. Try one of the following: Traditional Dark Balsamic, Pure Maple Dark Balsamic, or Black Mission Fig Dark Balsamic as your balsamic of choice. Enjoy it on grilled wings, ribs, chicken, burgers or on a BBQ grilled chicken pizza.
- 2 tablespoons Cultivated Tree Baklouti Olive Oil, but your favorite EVOO, fused or infused is great too!
- 1 small yellow/white onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (we carry a great Bourbon Barrel aged!)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup a Cultivated Tree Dark Balsamic ... pick your favorite!
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika - mild or spicey
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons cayenne - optional, for those who like a little heat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- Preheat a large saucepan over medium heat; add the olive oil and then onion - cook until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire, molasses, brown sugar, dark balsamic, mustard, granulated garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat to a low and simmer until slightly thickened - about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer sauce to a blender jar and blend until smooth. Let the sauce come to room temperature, transferring to a storage jar and store refrigerated for up to one month.