Chocolate Cake with Ganache
Merry Christmas To All!
Chocolate and orange is a favorite combination of mine, so this Chocolate Cake with ganache is delicious in my book. This is a simple Chocolate Cake using our Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil in both the cake and the chocolate ganache! We like to make things from scratch in our house, but certainly appreciate a little shortcut from time to time too. So, on that note, if you have a boxed mix of brownies or a cake mix – just use Cultivated Tree Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil as directed on the mix for your oil! Otherwise, we hope you enjoy the recipe!
The first time we made this was last year for a holiday get together for my husbands work … yes, Brenda, Lisa and Hope you were my test group. I used a sheet pan for that and the picture is the outcome. I simply used an electric knife to cut the thing into 1 inch squares and put little dollopes of ganache on top. The presentation was easy and party goers could choose just a little taste instead of committing to a whole piece of cake. A win all around!
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Cultivated Tree Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/2 cup Cultivated Tree Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil + more for greasing pans
- 2 large eggs, beaten with enough cold water to equal one cup
- 1 tablespoon Cultivated Tree Tangerine Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease two 9" cake pans.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, thoroughly mix together the liquid ingredients until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients in to the wet and mix using a hand or stand mixer on low.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Make sure to not over-bake the cake.
- It should spring back when lightly touched, and a cake skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Cool for 20-25 minutes before removing the cakes from the pans to cool completely.
- Apply ganache when cool.
- For the Ganache:
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a sauce pan over medium heat until just about simmering.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Gently whisk the chocolate and cream until smooth, consistent, and free from any lumps.
- Add in the Blood Orange Olive Oil to the chocolate and whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
- Allow to cool until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Gently spread the slightly cooled ganache over the completely cooled cake.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream and a tangerine segment as garnish.
- Serves 12.