Collards, Cannellini Beans & Italian Sausage
One pot meal
Over the years living in Georgia, I have learned to like collard greens although I did not grow up eating them. This is a great way to have a one pot meal that packs nutrition and might lead to creating your own adaptations of Collards, Cannellini Beans and Italian Sausage! It’s an Italian version of collards that we hope you try it.
Collards, Cannellini Beans and Italian Sausage
An Italian spin on collard greens that can be adapted to your own style. We hope you give them a try – great with a sliced rustic bread or a chunk of cornbread!
- 2 bunches fresh collard green leaves – about 2 Lbs Stem removed & chopped
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 1 bulb shallot – chopped
- 2-3 tspn minced garlic – about 2-3 medium cloves
- 1 lb mild to hot Italian Sausage – ground or 1 in. cut sausages
- 3 + tbsp Cultivated Tree Olive Oil – options are our: single varietal EVOO or Garlic Infused, Baklouti Green Chili Fused or Tuscan Herb all are delicious
- 2 tspn Cultivated Tree A-Premium White Balsamic
- 1 tspn crushed fennel seeds
- 1/2 tspn red chili flakes – optional
- Salt and Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbspn Italian Sausage Seasoning (like Penzy’s) – only if your sausage seasoning is really light
- 1/4 cup Chicken broth or a dry white wine!
- 1 can Cannellini Beans – rinsed and drained – 151/2 oz
Preheat a large cast iron skillet or stew pot to medium high heat. Prep your onions and garlic if not done.
Add 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil to the pan – use a combination of the suggested flavor options or just choose one. Saute the onion and shallot until translucent – about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
Add the Mild/Hot Italian sausage to the pan 1/2 lb at a time (it cooks faster). When slightly browned add the other 1/2 lb and cook until done.
Add the chopped collard greens and stir until mixed well – see picture. Add chicken broth, or wine; fennel seeds, red chili flakes. Turn heat down to medium and allow the collards to braise for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the cannellini beans and stir. Adjust seasoning, add the A-Premium white balsamic and stir. Serve drizzled with remaining Olive Oil and sliced rustic bread or cornbread.
Mild, hot or sweet Italian sausage are all options for this one pot meal.