Cultivated Tree Fresh Roasted Coffee’s and Blood Orange Carrot Cake
Remember moms’ carrot cake – or in our case – the carrot cake you made as holiday gift traditions? We were planning to introduce our partnership with a local coffee roaster and wanted the perfect accompaniment. I remembered a cake I made for many a holiday season for friends and family and gave it a little update with our Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil! Wow – I’m definitely going to make this as my holiday gifts once again. Traditionally made in bunt pans … which caused substantial headaches … this is much easier and it is very tasty!
Cultivated Tree Fresh Roasted Coffee – By the Pound, 8 oz. or Pot in a Pouch!
We like all things fresh here at Cultivated Tree Olive Oil Co. – we also like tradition. I feel so fortunate to have so many wonderful partners. One of the latest is a wonderful fourth generation coffee roaster right here in our little town of Cumming GA! Originally from Jamaica – quality and freshness is top priority. Edgar, Cory and Bob are fast becoming friends. Stop in … if we don’t have what you like, well …. you can order it and I will have it in within a day. Right now, we’ve select a bold dark roast, a medium full bodied and a medium smooth – plus, because Fall is here – we have Pumpkin Spice like you have not had before. It is all wonderful! We’ll have a flavor to sample most days too and will ship them as well. They will be on-line soon. In the meantime – call us at 678-807-7357 to place your order.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, + 1-2 tablespoons for dusting pan
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (aluminum free)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Cultivated Tree Blood Orange Fused Olive Oil, + 1 tablespoon for pan
- 3/4 cup full fat buttermilk
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 1/2 ounces coconut (I prefer unsweetened, but obviously your choice)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (optional, but I like them)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted sweet butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, taste after 2 cups add more if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, optional
For the cake
- Preheat oven with rack in middle to 350 and grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch sheet pan with a tablespoon of the Blood Orange Infused Olive Oil and then dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift flour, 2 teaspoon baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir or whisk them together and then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add blood orange olive oil, full fat buttermilk, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla - mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients, blending well.
- Stir in the pineapple, carrots, coconut and nuts.
- Pour mixture into the greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Bake on center rack in 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Test at 40 minutes with a toothpick - and remove from oven if the toothpick is clean.
- Let cool in pan until cool to touch and then flip out to a platter to finish cooling.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- While cake is baking, cream together cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly sift in the confectioners' sugar (test sweetness after 2 cups) and continue stirring until fully combined - it should be lump free. Stir in the vanilla and orange zest (optional).
- Spread over completely cooled sheet cake and serve - enjoy the delight of those who partake!