Hearty Rice Bowl
Brown Basmati Rice, Peas, Mushrooms and Pancetta
A combination of flavors you may not initially associate with one another result in a satisfying rice bowl that is hearty enough as a meal.
- 2 cups Cooked Brown Basmati Rice … or other variety – I use chicken, beef or vegetable broth when cooking rice 1:1.75 ratio and add a fused olive oil for extra flavor
- 10 ounces Fresh English Peas (or thawed frozen) -Blanch in pre-boiled water for 90 seconds
- 1 LB sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach; stems removed and cleaned
- 4 ounce package pre-cubed pancetta
- 1/2 (+) cup Parmesan cheese – finely grated
- 3-4 Tbsp Cultivated Tree Extra Virgin Olive Oil – or our Tuscan Herb, Garlic Infused or Mushroom Sage Infused!
- 1/4 cup Dry White wine – Optional but tastes good!
- Salt & Pepper to taste OR Seasonello Salt! We sell Seasonello salt – it is an Italian Herb salt .
- 1 tspn Lemon Thyme, Oregano or chopped Rosemary all work well
Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. While waiting, boil water to blanch your fresh peas – wait for it to get to a rolling boil and blanch for 1 1/2 minutes. Drain the peas and set aside.
Once the skillet is hot – add approximately 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and then the chopped onion. Allow to saute until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and stir. Once you smell the garlic and the pancetta and stir until fragrant.
Add the sliced mushrooms & drizzle with remaining olive oil. Toss in the blanched pea and the “optional” dry white wine. Gently stir to coat after adding your herb of choice and allow to cook about 10 minutes.
Fold in the 2 cups of baby spinach, 2 cups of precooked brown Basmati rice and the parmesan cheese. Once the spinach is wilted and the rice is heated, adjust your seasoning with salt and pepper or my preference, Seasonello Salt.
Plate, sprinkle with a little additional Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
This rice bowl is great for a light stand alone dinner and leftovers make a nice lunch too.