Quick Chicken and Rice Soup
Quick Chicken and Rice Soup is a snap to pull together when it’s cold … and it is just that today here in Atlanta. We usually have some staples either in the freezer (like home made chicken stock) or the pantry (bone broth or organic broths) to use along with the easy to pick up rotisserie chicken! We are a two person household most of the time, but most often prepare extra’s on most things for either planned re-purposed meals or things like this. Soup.
Cooking rice isn’t something I do that often, but I just received a very unique gift of heirloom rice from all over the globe! We had some over new years with scallops and fresh tuna and of course I planned for extra. Having extra of something like cooked rice , or pasta, can make a last minute meal easy. If I roast a whole chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken, I always have it in mind to prepare broth or eventually make soup because we don’t eat the whole chicken in one meal. Larger families may need two chickens just for dinner. I understand as I am the youngest of seven siblings.
So look into the fridge, freezer or pantry and grab the basics and make some soup on the fly. Here’s a quick recipe with things that are easily picked up or may be on hand even … the drizzle of quality Herbes De Provence Infused Olive Oil brings it to life.
- 1 Rotiserie Chicken, with 2-3 cups meat removed
- 2 medium rainbow carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch coins
- 1 medium stalk celery, diced into medium pieces - about 1/2 cup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups COOKED rice; Lotus brand has unique options! Pink Madigascar shown in the photo.
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Cultivated Tree Herbes De Provence Infused Olive Oil, + some for drizzling
- 6 cups Organic Chicken Bone Broth or Chicken Stock
- 1 tablespoon dried Herbes de Provence herb blend (savory, thyme,bay leaf, rosemary and lavender) - most spice companies have this blend
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat a large pot to medium heat then add 2 tablespoons Herbes De Provence Infused Olive Oil. Add diced onions and sauté until almost translucent - about 5 minutes
- Add carrot coins and celery and continue to sauté with onions until translucent and carrots are a little browned - about 10 minutes
- add dried herbs (not the fresh parsley yet) and stir until barely fragrant - about 1 minute
- Add chicken stock or bone broth and bring to a simmer - about 10 minutes
- Add chicken and stir - bring to a gentle rolling boil
- Once the broth and chicken are boiling add the cooked rice and lower the heat to allow this to just simmer for another 10 minutes
- Add the fresh parsley and simmer another 3-5 minutes - season to taste with salt and pepper
- Ladle into bowls and top with a good drizzle of Cultivated Tree Herbes De Provence Infused Olive Oil and serve