Skillet Sausage Lasagna
This skillet Lasagna is easy to make, serves extremely well and can feed your game day gang or holiday gathering. Using no-boil noodles speeds the cooking process and the Italian sausage gives this quick sauce version some depth of flavor. Use Cultivated Tree Tuscan Herb or Basil Infused Olive Oil for additional flavor.
And a shout out to Peter G. for insisting I cook some things in my cast iron skillet … But I sill love my Le Creuset with either giving the benefit of a workout in the kitchen!
Sausage Lasagna in a Skillet!
Use a 12 inch cast iron skillet to create this simplified but flavor packed family favorite.
- 3 cans 14.5 ounce whole pealed tomatoes – note: whole tomatoes are actually best due to the amount of liquid needed but diced will work
- 2 tbsp Cultivated Tree Extra Virgin Olive Oil – or Tuscan Herb , Basil or Garlic Infused
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 lb Mild Sweet Italian Sausage or Hot – casings removed
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes – optional if you've got kiddo's
- 1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese – Fat free does not work in this recipe
- 1 lrg egg yolk
- 1/4 tpn dried thyme
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese – Fat free does not work with this recipe
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh basil – optional but delish – or drizzle with Basil Infused Olive Oil at end
Pre heat the oven to 400°F with the rack adjusted to the middle.
Using a food processor or immersion blender, pulse the tomatoes in a bowl until coarsely chopped. Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet to medium heat – once hot add your Cultivated Tree Olive Oil (we suggest any Cultivated Tree EVOO, Tuscan Herb or Basil Infused Olive Oil.) Saute the finely chopped onion and 1/2 tspn salt until slightly browned – about 7-8 minutes. Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes and continue until fragrant.
Add sausage (if you cook 1/2 at a time it is faster) and cook until no longer pink – 5 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
While the sauce is simmering …. in two separate bowls mix: (1) ricotta, egg yolk, thyme,1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bowl (2) combine mozzarella and Parmesan.
Back to simmering sauce! Turn heat off and remove all of the sauce but 3/4 cups (this is your base for starting your lasagna layers.)
Shingle the halved no boil lasagna noodles. with the 7th half piece placed in the center of the skillet. There will be a little overlap but gaps too – don't worry the next levels with fill those in. Layer 1/3 of the ricotta cheese then 1/4 of the mozzarella mix and finishing this first layer with 1/3 of the sausage sauce mix.
Repeat the layering 2 more times: halved noodles, then ricotta, next mozzarella mix and finishing with the sausage sauce. The last layer should be topped with the last 1/4th of the mozzarella.
Bake 35 – 40 minutes until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling around the edges. Remove skillet and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. We hope you enjoy!