Turkey Chili with White Beans
Turkey chili with white beans is perfect for a cold winter day! We’ve had a few days of cold weather here in Georgia which has finally allowed it to feel like the holidays. This is a family style version with the option of a little heat based upon the Cultivated Tree Olive Oil that you choose.
Our Baklouti Green Chili Fused Olive Oil is a fantastic selection for those who do enjoy spiciness. Our Chipotle Infused Olive Oil is a more classic chili flavor and lends itself well to the mole’ style of the unsweetened cocoa powder. For the younger ones in the family who might enjoy this over a hotdog … grab any of our extra virgin olive oils or our Garlic Infused Olive Oil.
- 3 tablespoons Cultivated Tree Olive Oil: Baklouti Green Chili Fused, Chipotle Infused Olive Oil, or any Extra Virgin Varietal
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey - or use 3/4 LB ground turkey & 3/4 LB ground turkey Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28 oz. can fired roasted tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 red onion chopped - for topping
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped - for topping
- sour cream - for topping
- Preheat a large pot over medium heat and then add your olive oil and onions - saute' until light brown, about 10 minutes
- Add oregano & cumin; stir for 1 minute
- Increase heat to medium high and add 1/2 of your meat - breaking it apart as it cooks until it is no longer pink. Push this cooked portion to the sides of the pot and repeat the process with the second half of the meat.
- Stir in the chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add tomatoes with the juice, breaking them up with a spoon. Mix in the broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes - stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans to the chili and simmer another 10-15 minutes until the flavors blend. Remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Ladle into bowls - serve with the option of the toppings: red onion, cilantro and sour cream.